24 July 2012 - Mm ...

Quote of the day:

"I have always felt that the moment


 when we first wake up in the morning


is the most wonderful of the twenty four hours."


Monica Baldwin


G'day guys,


Just thought this might make you smile. The S.C.B.W.I (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators) had a contest some years ago (for a year's free membership) so I entered. Not for the membership, but for the discipline and exercise of writing. So, I used
some imagination in my entry (I'm sure you didn't need me to tell you that, eh?).
I loved doing it and reckon it would be a fabulous exercise for school kids.
Anyway, you had to write 75 words or less to finish the following scene:

"While walking home from school Ben takes a detour through the woods and is caught in a sudden snowstorm. Cold and afraid, he ducks into a cave for shelter. Once inside the cave, he's amazed to find … "

 This is what I reckon Ben found:

Two Professional wanderers around a campfire.  One looked up.

"Come For’ard, son. You look like The ghost. I was just talkin’ To Jim about Sweeney ... The vagabond, from The blue mountains. How he, Bertha, Bill, Ruth and Corny Bill went Outback and got Knocked up. Don’t feel Rejected, son. After all The southerly buster will pass, and Waratah and Wattle will be As good as new.

"Hey, you’re Bourke and Talbragar," gasped Ben.

"Eureka, son!"

Footnote:


This piece contains 75 words, including 21 titles of poems written by Henry Lawson. Thanks to Henry Lawson, for the Poems mentioned in this - a famous Australian poet and writer,
born June 17, 1867 at Grenfell, New South Wales.


PS: I did not win - didn't even crack a mention. That's what it's like.


On a sadder note:


I am shocked and saddened by the events that transpired at the movie theatre in Aurora, Colorado earlier this week. It is hard, if not impossible, to understand what would drive a seemingly normal human to randomly slaughter and injury so many other human beings. My thoughts and hearts go out to the victims and survivors. CT


Keep writing!


Don't be shy ... send me an email: clancy_tucker@hotmail.com


Thanks for listening.


I'm Clancy Tucker


www.clancytucker.com.au




No comments:

Post a Comment