15 October 2012 - Peter Frederick - Guest Author


Copyright Clancy Tucker (c)


*


Quote of the day:

"Don’t hurry, don’t worry. You’re only here for a short visit.


So be sure to stop and smell the flowers."


Walter Hagen


G'day guys,


Today I introduce an Australian author who has been a mentor and tireless supporter of self-published authors - Peter Frederick. Peter has had an interesting life, written two unique books, poetry and short stories. For most of his working life he has worked as a representative in sales; either retail, wholesale or in manufacturing. The many mishaps and adversities he encountered are now all factors in his books, enriching, cheering and uplifting the reader. Peter is very generous with his time and knowledge. Here is the author of Life on the Road and On the Road Again. Welcome, Peter.


*


PETER FREDERICK  


GUEST AUTHOR





*


TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR WRITING JOURNEY.

 I am Australian, living in the most beautiful country in the world and have always had a special love for the English language. In school, I had the great fortune of being taught by a very strict English teacher, from whom I have acquired a purist attitude and a sense for the beauty of descriptive words.


 WHEN AND HOW DID YOU BECOME A WRITER?


 In my business travels criss-cross my country, I had to study by correspondence, after hours, in my motel room and later I noted
down
the many funny, peculiar and hilarious happenings I
encountered during the working day. Within a short time, my notes compiled into a voluminous tome to which I added poems and short stories of fiction.


 WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST ABOUT BEING A WRITER?


 It is this wonderful freedom writers have. Whilst our daily live is permeated by rules and rigidity, when working creatively, one can do so without restriction.


 WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING ABOUT BEING A WRITER?

 An environment of positivism and motivation is very important. If one cannot discuss the beauty of a sentence with somebody like-minded or share with somebody the descriptiveness of a specific word, that person is to be pitied.


 Myself, I live in such a situation, where people around me purse their lips and slowly attempt to pronounce a word with amazement. In a general conversation the subject of writing is quickly changed to a more basic topic  – something very basic.


*



*


 WHAT WERE YOU IN A PAST LIFE, BEFORE YOU BECAME A WRITER?

 Having worked in private enterprise for many years, studying evenings and achieving distinctions, I had to meet and socially interact with many types of people and did this very successfully. In a world of primitive vernacular, my love for proper communication stood me in good stead.


 WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST WRITING ACHIEVEMENT?

 It is the inner satisfaction of having spent a day writing and in doing so, I roamed in a world of freedom. Maybe, I shall enter writing competitions one day however, I would to this to support genuine authors’ organisations more substantially than I am able to do at the moment. 


WHAT INSPIRES YOU?

 Becoming aware of social injustice, unfair situations and people of inferior character compel me to write. Merely the thoughts of them would make my blood boil and I could write about this forever and a day! These outpourings of mine can be very vitriolic indeed and I have to apply utmost control. Therefore, I try to stay in the realm of humour; only some of my poems betray my inner rage.


WHAT GENRE DO YOU WRITE?

 It is mainly Australiana and humour, mainly in prose and in poetry.


 DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS FOR NEW WRITERS?

 Try to surround yourself with advanced writing talent for motivation and knowledge. Only they can take you further. Above all, join a genuine, recognised group of authors and participate actively in the running of their organisation. In other words, be a ‘taker’ and a ‘giver’!


*



*


DO YOU SUFFER FROM WRITER’S BLOCK?

 I would rather call them ‘mood-swings’ and I am constantly attacked by them. The only method I apply is switching from manuscript-writing to poetry and back.


 DO YOU HAVE A PREFERRED WRITING SCHEDULE?

 It depends on the aforementioned mood swings, however, in general, I write poetry and short stories as soon as I wake up.


 DO YOU HAVE A FAVOURITE WRITING PLACE?

 Writing in motel rooms has now given way to a corner in my bedroom, however, unique thoughts come to me any time during the day with the subsequent note-taking in a little note pad.


 WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST JOY IN WRITING?

 It is the achievement of seeing my thoughts in print on what was before an empty page.


 WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE AUTHOR AND WHY?

 It is good old Malcolm Muggeridge because of his treasure of vocabulary. He was a master of the English language who constantly made me reach for the dictionary when reading his books!


*



*


WHAT’S THE GREATEST COMPLIMENT YOU EVER RECEIVED FROM A READER?

 I find, getting any response from a reader is a compliment and real achievement. Once, I’ve had a manuscript returned from a publisher with the note: ‘Strong stuff!’ which really elated me for my manuscript had an effect on him.


 WHAT WAS THE WORST COMMENT FROM A READER?

 The worst comments were mainly silent ones and originated from phoney friends. After trying to dissuade me from writing a book, they read it with ill feelings and bit their lips rather than saying something. 


 WRITERS ARE SOMETIMES INFLUENCED BY THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN THEIR OWN LIVES. ARE YOU?

 Yes. Firstly, we are only able to perceive what we are aware of. Secondly, we must be able to understand the other person’s point of view and, thirdly, we need to have the energy to act on a situation on our own behalf or that of another person or living being.


 OTHER THAN WRITING, WHAT ELSE DO YOU LOVE?


 I love all animals as they are the most disadvantaged members in our community and therefore, I feel very protective of them and of nature in  general.


*



*


DID YOU HAVE YOUR BOOK / BOOKS PROFESSIONALLY EDITED BEFORE PUBLICATION?

 Being a bit of a dreamer and idealist, I fell for charlatans who took me financially to the cleaners without providing any quality results. The publishing industry is teeming with creatures of that ilk. I have encountered editors who do not edit, publishers who do not publish, printers who do not print, so-called graphic designers who took my money and went on holidays instead and distributors who do not distribute ...


 DESCRIBE YOUR PERFECT DAY.

 When writing a novel, it is finishing the last paragraph of a manuscript, going for a walk with a sense of achievement and looking forward to correcting my writing before handing my manuscript to a qualified editor.


 WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR THE FUTURE?

 I shall keep writing, honing my literary skill and also try to find a way to break through the current barrier of prejudice self-published authors face.


 *


Peter's contact points:


http://www.peterfrederick.org/


*


Clancy's comment: Thanks, Peter. Thanks for your assistance on many issues. Love ya work - CT!


Keep writing!


I'm ...



*



Email me if you wish to subscribe


or unsubscribe to my daily blog


clancy_tucker@hotmail.com


*


No comments:

Post a Comment