4 April 2014 - BEST AUSTRALIAN BLOGS 2014 COMPETITION!


BEST AUSTRALIAN BLOGS 2014


G'day folks,

Welcome. This is my 706th post since I started writing a daily blog, and today is a special day. I've been nominated in the Best Australian Blogs Competition 2014 and voting begins today for the People's Choice Award. (Twitter hashtag: #bestblogs14)

BACKGROUND OF THIS BLOG:

As a writer, one of the key parts of your profession is to find a way to market yourself - your brand. My brand is CLANCY TUCKER. However industrious and motivated that sounds, writers compete with millions of other writers around the world; all looking for a slice of the global pie. Before I  began this blog I investigated many other blogs. Many were dull and lifeless, but some were enchanting and attractive. A lot of blogs contained information about a particular issue of interest. That's fine, but I wanted to produce a blog that was colourful and attractive. I also wanted to portray a vast array of stuff that just might make you smile, be of interest or inform you. At all times I have tried to do that. 

Although I am a writer, photographer and sometime poet, I have diverse interests and have tried to make this blog appealing to a wide range of people. Many of my global friends are involved in Human Rights, social justice issues and the security and welfare of kids and women - wherever they live. Hopefully, this blog has been supportive of their campaigns.

Having said that, I am the most un-politically correct person you'll find. Why, because the world seems to have gone a bit crazy and a lot of politically correct comments, rules, edicts and statements seem to dominate our daily lives; not for the better. Hence, I have sometimes posted stuff that many people would consider to be controversial, but why not, eh? 

Don't forget: Bad things only happen because good people allow them to happen.


NOT ONLY BUT ALSO ...

Sometimes I have written posts that have made politicians, and others, feel uncomfortable. Those posts have often succeeded to do just that. Some posts have brought amazing results - and reactions. The initial purpose of this blog was to get my name out there. However, in the process I have promoted other creative people and have done it as a free service to honour and encourage other creative and interesting people, especially independent writers, authors, poets, film makers, editors, publishers, musicians, Human Rights lawyers et al; people who are more than worthy of a mention.  

My view is simple: What goes around comes around.

I do not blog because I have heaps of spare time. Nope, having been a full time writer for 17 years, I'm working harder now than ever; forever involved in social justice and Human Rights issues, mentoring and teaching - ALL FOR FREE! There has never been any advertising or fees for anyone appearing on this blog as a guest. It has always been about my guest and their issues. 

Although it is a lot of work to produce a daily blog, I am more than chuffed to have picked up some fantastic friends from around the world. Some of them are high-flyers in their realm of work. Others are famous people in their own country and we support each other.

This blog is an eclectic mix, but many of my followers love that. Some of you often say, 'We never know what to expect.'  

I guess I love Forrest Gump's famous comment, 'Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.'

 So far, I've included posts on famous authors, editors, teenagers, kids, senior citizens, buildings, lawyers, ships, bridges, famous landmarks, historical facts, some social commentary, a swag of work from brilliant photographers, great quotes, social justice and Human Rights activists - AND interviewed more than 300 guests; some of them very gifted people.


HOWEVER ...

I have only promoted myself twice on this blog; one was an interview the lovely Elena Ornig conducted with me. I posted that so that you would learn something about the man behind the words - the face of the blogger. The other post was a book promotion for 'Gunnedah Hero' - a book that has sold well and won two awards in the Australian National Literary Awards.


Having said all that, the Best Australian Blog Competition is up and running for 2014 and there have been 1,125 entries! I was nominated for this competition last year but I did not cajole, force, coerce, intimidate or suck-up to anyone to vote for me. I just let it happen - AND DIDN'T WIN! However, some close colleagues around the globe have seriously advised me to GO FOR IT this year. So, here I am folks - at your mercy. 

In the past few years I have gained thousands of followers on all sorts of social media outlets such as Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn. Took a lot of work and time to achieve, and one can only hope it pays off. By the way, this blog currently goes to 46 countries, including Iceland, every day. Marketing your brand is the name of the game. 

Here is a great quote from a good author friend who encouraged me to promote myself for this competition:


HE WHO WHISPERS DOWN A WELL
ABOUT THE BOOKS HE HAS TO SELL
DOES NOT MAKE AS MANY DOLLARS
AS HE WHO STANDS RIGHT UP AND HOLLERS!

WHAT'S THIS COMPETITION ABOUT? 

Well, there is a committee who will decide the ultimate winners. However, I have also been nominated for the PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD. That's where you gorgeous, intelligent, smart, well-dressed, lovely, sweet, beautiful, kind, intellectually switched-on, thoughtful, generous, loving folks enter the fray. You can vote for this blog if you wish. How was that for some wordsmith-sucking? Mm ... Can't lose your sense of humour, eh?


So, voting for the PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD begins TODAY - 10 am - Friday 4th of April 2014, and remains open until 5pm - 5th of May 2014. 

Winners will be announced on May 7th 2014. With lots of luck, you wonderful people will flog this blog to all and sundry via Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Google+ and LinkedIn; maybe even contact your friends, and your mum, and get them to vote as well. Don't forget your dog and cat. I'm sure they must have an i-Pad or dog-Pad / cat-Pad.

By the way, many of my colleagues have also been nominated for this award and I will go to their blog and vote for them today.

 

WHAT ARE THE KEY DATES?

  • Friday 4 April 10am: People’s Choice round opens.
  • Tuesday 29 April: Finalists announced
  • Monday 5 May 5pm: People’s Choice round closes.
  • Wednesday 7 May: Winners announced 

*** How do you vote for this blog? ***

Easy. Go to the top right-hand corner of this page where you see the red pointing hand that looks like this: 


Underneath that hand you will see a button / logo that says: 

'VOTE FOR ME NOW - BEST AUSTRALIAN BLOGS 2014 - PEOPLE'S CHOICE!' 

**** CLICK ON THAT BUTTON AND VOTE***

or

CLICK ON THIS LINK:


DON'T BE SHY! ASK YA MUM, DAD, COUSIN, SISTER, BROTHER, MISTRESS, PARTNER ETC. TO VOTE.




Clancy's comment: Good luck to all those bloggers who have also been nominated for this award. And, many thanks to the dozens of fine guests I have had the privilege to interview on this blog. Thanks also to those of you who vote for Clancy Tucker's Blog. It's been an interesting journey. I will let you know what happens. 

Love ya work!



I'm ...





No comments:

Post a Comment